Monday, August 2, 2010

Suprise Party....

I love surprises. And what's better than a surprise party?
Well this last Saturday night, along with some help from my friend Shari, I threw one for our friends Kate and Dana.
I've had the pleasure of watching Kate become a wife, a mother, and somewhere in the middle become a true friend.

Dana & Kate both grew up in the town of Clay Center, Kansas. They are high school sweethearts. They married in June 2003. They have a beautiful home and two wonderful daughter's, Kennedy and Gentry.


They are expecting their third daughter (Emery) in September.
You can read more about it on Kate's blog. (KDKG blog on my blog list.)
I thought that it would be so fun to "surprise" Kate and give them both a party before the baby arrives. So Shari and I put together a Baby BBQ for the wonderful couple. We did tell Dana what we were planning, to make sure they would be home that weekend. With the day picked out, next thing was to figure out how to pull this off without Kate knowing. She's usually hard to trick. She can figure things out on her own. But since she's 9months pregnant, I knew her brain is pretty much fried, and she didn't have a clue. I sent Kate a "fake" invitation saying that I was having a BBQ for me to celebrate my birthday, and it worked! Kate was so surprised!




Here was the diaper cake topper. It's a mommy duck with 3 babies.

Cake made out of cupcake's. It's supposed to be a slice of watermelon. Made by yours truly.

Party color's: pink and lime green.

Present time! The men spent this time out side taking turns pulling eachother's ears. Meanwhile the ladies were talking labor and delivery stories.
Kate opening all her wonderful gifts. That is Kate's mom Susan standing beside her.

Kate had plenty of help from Maddie and Kennedy.

The "big" girls had fun playing with baby Aubrey. Isn't she a cutie?











Here's what Maddie, Kennedy and Gentry spent the rest of the night doing. They played dress up and ran non-stop for over an hour. I wish I had their energy.

Here's the older two. They were fighting over who got to ware the tiara. Oh I can't wait to see these two 10 years from now.

A special thanks to all of Dana and Kate's family and friends who came out to help celebrate, and for keeping it from Kate!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Next time Melissa you need to make the "fake" invation a little more "fake", as I just glanced at it on their fridge and had to do a double take because it looked so similar to the "real" invation!! Then Dana shot me the "stop it and shut up" look!!!:-) Sorry we had to miss all the fun!!!

Kate said...

Well you truly TOTALLY had me fooled! And to tell you the truth I probably still would have fell for the whole thing even if I didn't have pregnancy brain! You guys did such a good job. I can't thank you and Shari enough. You both are the greatest and I Love You both so much! It was an awesome unexpected evening to say the least. And the funny thing before we left for the party was.....I kept thinking..Thank God I don't have to cook tonight! I was exhausted after work but definitely got a second wind when I saw everyone was there for us and then all the crazy awesome gifts you guys gave us. It was truly perfect. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)